Srat

A typical “srat” pose and set of outfits, displayed at a derby (a very “srat” event to attend).

30db1730591ec2d7dbd63c042de1fc44

Neologism/Clipping of “sorority.” Used to describe a girl who has joined a social sorority and embodies the stereotypes associated with female greek life. Typically, a “srat” type girl parties only at Greek parties like mixers or date parties, wears certain brands (Vineyard Vines, Lilly Pulitzer, etc.), and spends most of her time with members of her sorority. Usually said facetiously. A female version of “frat,” which holds a similar connotation in regards to a fraternity member.

Etymology: 

Sorority: 1. a body or company of women united for a common goal.

2. A women’s society in a college or university.

From the latin sororitas, or sisterhood, derived from Soror, or sister and –ity, the quality of being. The first sorority established on a college campus in the United States was Pi Beta Phi at Monmouth College in 1867.

Sociolectical Information: This is a word that holds different meaning to different people. Some people use it in earnest, whether positively or negatively. Many use it jokingly as a sort of parody word to describe someone’s behavior. If used outside of Greek life by someone who doesn’t belong to a fraternity or sorority, it probably has a more negative connotation than if it were used by a member. The word’s usage reflects the user’s opinion on Greek organizations.

Survival Opinions: I think that this word will survive as long as “frat” does, which is basically as long as Greek life exists on American campuses. It is a clipping and carries a wide connotation, so it’s easy to use.

Lexopinions: I have friends who are in sororities and use this word jokingly when they are doing something stereotypical of a member to do. I do imagine that this word is sometimes used disparagingly, which makes sense because it is somewhat an “insider” word, i.e. refers to an exclusive group of people. It could be used in a sexist manner: any term that exists today which refers exclusively to women can be twisted to become sexist. Overall, I find this word relatively harmless, but opinions may vary.

1. I think the word’s survival ability is a little bit lower than that of “frat” because it’s not always easily recognizable; I’m in a sorority and occasionally when I’ve used this term I’ve encountered people who have never heard the term. I think the lack of a clear stem limits this word’s viability in the mainstream English lexicon.

Additionally, although most people (myself included) use this word in a sarcastic sense, I think that it does serve a useful purpose and lately I’ve found myself using it more seriously just because “sorority” is a long word and it is much simpler just to say “srat”. HOWEVER, as of right now I only use it seriously when texting people, and to me, “srat” seems similar to other text-speak clippings and abbreviations.

2. Adam Wang says:

I found the word very interesting when it started catching up. Mostly because the “frat” component of the word was so obvious, and “frat” usually is used to refer to Greek men. And I personally did not think the word was a good clipping of the word sorority because they just doesn’t sound familiar. Do you think there’s a sexist component to the word?

Another thing I want to say about the word is it survival prediction. The word is fairly new, and used mostly facetiously by the Greek community. I personally don’t think this will help facilitate the spread/survival of the word. And personally I think there could’ve been better clippings of “sorority” than “srat”. However for my lack of imagination, I can’t come up with any. So maybe it’s fair to say that srat would live on.

3. jackievalles says:

Even though I am not a part of greek life, I knew what the word meant from just the sound of it. I think I immediately connected it to the “frat” part and that was how I was able to recognize it. I didn’t know it was to refer to the typical sorority girl.
    I agree with your survival predictions. It will definitely last for as long as “frat” stays relevant. I also agree how this can be used as a negative way. I think we can use this as a label toward people confirming a stereotype.
    My question is, does this word apply to the sororities part of the Divine Nina (the NPHC sororities)?
    Does it apply to the sororities a part of the NALFO (Latina Greeks)?
    The reason I ask is because, even though they are sororities, they don’t wear the typical clothing you just described or fit the description you gave. I think it would be interesting if you interviewed a Delta, a AKA, a Zeta, or a SIA on this campus and see how they feel about this word.