BYOD

byod info

Initialism. BYOD stands for “Bring Your Own Device,” a policy in which offices or schools allow their employees or students to bring and use their own personal devices such as laptops, cellphones, and tablets to work on rather than using school- or workplace-owned computers

(http://readwrite.com/2013/03/26/intel-byod-by-the-numbers/)

Etymology: BYOD is an initialism for “Bring Your Own Device”. The term dates back to Intel’s implementation of a BYOD policy in 2009, and use of the term became more popular starting in 2011 as more companies began to implement the same policy, as evidenced by this Google Trends graph:

byod

Bring” comes from the Old English word bringan, which means “to bring, bring forth, produce, present, offer”.

Your” originally comes from the Old English word eower, which is the possessive pronominal adjective, genitive of ge or “ye”, which is Proto-Germanic.

Own” as an adjective comes from Old English agen, which means “one’s own,” or “possessed by,” from Proto-Germanic *aigana meaning “possessed, owned”

“Device” comes from from the Old French word devis, which means “division, separation, disposition, wish, desire; coat of arms, emblem; last will”. The word in this context refers to electronic devices, a term which usually refers to small computer-based objects such as laptops, smartphones, and tablets.

Sociolectical Information: This word seems to be used only in workplaces or schools, especially when those places are particularly tech-savvy. Most people I talked to did not know what it meant, but they were all college students. My online research suggests that the term is much more popular among working professionals, especially those in the technology industry, or in places where a BYOD policy is being considered for schools.

Survival Predictions: I think that the concept behind this word will become increasingly popular as technology continues to advance and devices become more and more personal and portable. However, the initialism itself seems to cause people who have never heard it trouble, probably because it sounds like “BYOB” which means “Bring Your Own Beer.” Because of that association, the word may seem too informal for use in the workplace in the future.

Lexopinions: I think this initialism is fairly useful, but it can also be frustrating because it’s very similar to the initialism for “Bring Your Own Beer”. Therefore, I’m unsure about the word itself. On the other hand, the familiarity of the “BYO(x)” format does make it more easy to guess the meaning of “BYOD,” so the pros could outweigh the cons. Overall, I think the concept behind the word is a good idea, and one that will likely become more popular in the coming years.

1. rgtesfazghi says:

Great Job on this post! I first heard about this word when I was a freshman in high school. The idea of BYOD, I think was new then. Now, I hear it everywhere because of the increased use of technology in everyday life. I agree with everything on this post. I actually think that BYOD is so common now that people will know what it means when said in conversation. Also, I believe there will be an increase of the term because of the new innovative technologies that are entering our world. Great Job again!

2. Hannah Menchel says:

I really liked this post, and I appreciated your use of graphics to show the increased popularity of the term. I agree with your sociolectal information and that the word seems to only be used in offices or schools. My own high school had such a policy, although we did not formally use this term, which I find interesting. Additionally, I think that this term might be a bit confusing to use in conversation, as BYOD is vague, and gives no hints about what each letter actually stands for. However, it is a useful and convenient way to abbreviate a long phrase that may become rather tedious to say.