Tasty Videos

Neosense/Buzzword: n. Short videos, usually around a minute or less, that autoplay in your Facebook feed in order to suck you into watching them. They always depict delicious-looking food and recipes being made, in a sped up fashion, by disembodied hands accompanied by cheerful music. Mesmerizing, and known to provoke hunger even in people that have just eaten, they are tantalizing, and can cause you to waste hours of your time by watching them. They are used to talk about the channel that started the trend, Buzzfeed Tasty, which has almost 50 million likes on Facebook, as well as other food videos that are similar.

Etymology: The word tasty was first used around 1617, in the English language. It is derived from the base “taste” which dates back to around 1292, and is from French. The suffix -y, which is originally from German, and dates back in usage to as early as the 13th century, means having the qualities of. Today, tasty means “pleasing to the taste; appetizing, savory.” The word video, meaning a recording of visual images, was first used in 1968 and was formed within English by conversion. All etymological information is from the online version of the Oxford English Dictionary.

Sociolectal Information: This term is used by anybody with a Facebook, practically. The videos have come to dominate people’s feeds, and Buzzfeed Tasty has prompted a number of spinoffs and similar versions; there is Proper Tasty, the British version, as well as Tasty Demais, the Brazilian version. Additionally, there are a number of other Facebook pages with similar content that are not affiliated with Tasty, including Tastemade, Sweeten, and Tip Hero. In general, people use the term “tasty videos” to describe all such videos, even if they do not fall under the “Tasty” brand.

Survival Predictions: Given the fact that these videos are so hugely popular right now, are practically inescapable, and have inspired dozens of copycats, I think that these videos will hold out in popularity for at least a little while longer. They are addictive, and do provide the  perfect distraction for procrastination, although the number of people that actually make the recipes from the videos is unknown. Like anything viral, this could very well have a short shelf life if people get bored and tired with it. However, I think that it will last for at least a couple of years, even if the page doesn’t continue to grow in Facebook likes.

Lexopinions: Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with these videos. On the one hand, I could spend hours watching them, but on the other hand, they do cause me to procrastinate on my work. However, ultimately, they are probably one of the main reasons that I log into Facebook now, in order to see if any new videos have been added. Additionally, as someone who has actually made a recipe from one of these videos, I can say that it was just as tasty as promised.

1. jackievalles says:

I myself do not use Facebook to know that this was a thing, but its funny that my aunt does! My aunt is about 45 years old and has a FB and even encouraged me to watch these videos. We spent over 45 min just watching these videos with foods that really did make me hungry.
    I think you do a great job describing the concept of these videos in your blog. I know that even just reading about these videos makes me extremely hungry!!!!
    I think your videos show how easy it is to fall in love with what they make and I think another unique thing about these post is that they show things that are easy to make. Its things you can bring into your home.
    Cooking shows have been around for a long time and I think this is the future to shows like that, so I definitely think the will last for awhile. That being said, do you think that with more and more technology coming into our lives, the need for cookbooks/cooking shows will not be needed?
    Also, Im wondering if any of these videos are focused on healthy eating, and how to get the most out of your meal?